Let me explain. My doctor told me he was going to test my Thyroid Antibodies. I didn't have a clue what he was talking about so I just said ok. I did do a little bit of research on this, but did not dwell on it too much because I didn't have much hope of it showing anything. Well, apparently my Thyroid Antibody levels are extremely high. The normal range on one of them is 0-4 and mine is 129, yes you read that right, 129. My first reaction to my doctor was, do I need to go to the hospital???!!! I mean, when something is supposed to be between 0-4 and it is 129 that can't be good! He assured me that I should not worry. This is not my thyroid level, but my antibody level. I said ok and we moved on in our conversation. He said he was going to contact a reproductive endocrinologist and I informed him that I had taken a proactive approach and that I already had an appointment with one in OKC in November. He said that was great and he would send him all of my information. Apparently with my levels being so high I could have Hashimoto's disease which is an autoimmune disorder where your immune system attacks your Thyroid. Instead of me explaining it, you can click on the link to learn more.
http://drclark.typepad.com/dr_david_clark/2011/11/thyroid-antibodies-and-risk-of-miscarriage-premature-birth.html
Basically, my thyroid levels could be causing these miscarriages or my immune system is attacking the fetus because of this. Either way it could be related to these elevated Antibody levels. After looking at all of the symptoms, I definitely have some of them and it so makes sense with what has happened. I called the specialist in OKC to tell his nurse the results and they have ordered more tests. So, hopefully when we go to the specialists we will have even more answers. I don't have an official diagnosis as this is not my ObGyn's specialty, but all signs point to this disease. I will hopefully know for sure in a few weeks.
I am very thankful to have a possible answer to all of this. I know it sounds weird, but I am relieved! If it is this disease then I believe there are treatments to be able to carry a baby full term. I am anxious to get more information from the doctor. The Internet is good, but hearing things from a doctor that deals with this type of thing everyday will be better!!
If you are suffering for recurrent miscarriages, this is definitely something to check into. I am thankful my doctor had the insight to test me for this. From the research I have done, many doctors don't ever test for this. The thing that is weird is that your Thyroid levels can be perfectly fine and your antibodies can be way off and you may never know. Only a blood test can tell you for sure.
We are still trusting The Lord and are thankful for what seems to be a step in the right direction!!
Good luck with everything! I'm so happy you finally found some positive information and can hopefully move forward in the near future. I love your blog...it's refreshing to read and I'm glad I was given this link. I hope everything works out and I'm anxious to hear what you find out in OKC so keep us posted :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks Jamie...I hope you are doing well! I plan to keep up with the blog and post updates often. I go to the doctor in 2 weeks and will definitely update after!
Delete